Thursday, October 10, 2013

Current Obsession: Elephant Art & Room Inspiration

I am totally obsessed with Elephant Art.

I first saw this image in Boston Common magazine and thought it was simply charming and would make an awesome focal point for my 4 year old's "big boy" room. 

As I quickly scanned the article I thought I read that it was actually painted by an elephant and then I thought it best to put down the glass of chardonnay and go to bed.
Turns out I don't need to put down the chardonnay after all :)

This was actually painted by an elephant on paper made from elephant dung. Ick!  After I got over that, I went to the Asian Elephant Art and Conservation Project website and read that this program was started in Thailand to help keep elephants minds active in captivity.  

I love this one with the smiley face on the bum!
The caretakers noticed that the elephants would often pick-up a stick and doodle in the dirt and decided to take it a step further and retro fit paint brushes to be held with their trunks. 

I am hoping this painting with the "sold" stamp has been bought by my hubby, for here is the room I would design around it!


Fascinating!  The exhibit "Beyond Human: Artist-Animal Collaborations" will be at the Peabody Essex Museum beginning October 19. The profits from the sale of these paintings go to help care for these elephants.

Cheers!
Becky

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Love the design idea :) Just got a new apartment and I'm excited about decorating but I don't know where to start. Please do an inspiration board for 1000 thread count fitted sheet or bedroom style inspiration, thanks!

    ReplyDelete