Thursday, April 1, 2010

DIY: Chandelier Shades

I have been recently working on my dining room (see previous post). And since we don't have an eat-in-kitchen (shocker!), I wanted to make it cozy enough for everyday use, but also "dressy" enough to "impress the guests". We painted it, made new curtains, hung paintings and put in a beautiful family heirloom: an antique Norwegian farm table with benches. (I am quite certain it is Swedish, but don't tell my Norwegian family that!!) The benches are great because we always have room for one more and esthetically speaking I like the streamline approach in this smallish room. I really love the way it is turning out. But of course there is always one thing that could be better. And that is my chandelier. It came with the house and since we aren't exactly in the market for a new chandelier, I decided to spruce up the one I have with chandelier shades.

Now you have all seen the color of my dining room...not exactly a "staple", so finding a shade that would match presented a problem, not to mention the loot to go along with it. So I was wandering around Joann looking for fabric for my kitchen and I stumbled across these:

Yep, you guessed it. Small shades (they actually come in a variety of sizes) that are covered with adhesive! All you have to do is use their pattern to cut out the fabric, smooth it onto the shade, trim the fabric and glue down the edges.

Here is a play-by-play:

Place the template on your fabric and trace around it, leaving about an inch extra and cut!

Here is what the fabric pieces look like:Carefully wrap the fabric around the shade, pressing and smoothing as you go.

This is what it will look like - before you glue the edges down:
Be sure to cut little V-shaped notches in the fabric before you glue it down:
This is what the inside looks like once the fabric is glued down:
Another view of the almost finished product:
Ta-dah!

No comments:

Post a Comment