Friday, December 2, 2011

DIY Capiz Chandelier

Yep, you read it correctly, a D-I-Y Capiz Chandelier.  Notice I left out the word "shell".  Well in this case, the shells are made from wax paper.  I recently came across a blog called "Freshly Picked" written by Susan Peterson.  She posted a wonderful tutorial on how to make a look alike Capiz Shell Chandelier out of wax paper circles sewn together and draped over an old lamp shade frame. It is genius.  I have been searching for a small Capiz chandelier for months for my bedroom - ever since the one I ordered arrived and was so long, it nearly brushed the duvet on my bed.

Here is the object of my desire - but notice the long chains up to the canopy? Yeah - earlier versions of this photo stopped just after the top of the shells...oh well. I still LOVE it and would absolutely use it in a larger room!!  It is gorgeous in real life!!


Here is West Elm's version - a little sparse on the shells if I do say so myself...but for $129 bucks, it's a steal!


And here is Susan Peterson's DIY wax paper Capiz Chandelier... Pretty lovely - huh?!?


Here is her "before" fixture, which was mercifully disassembled...



Then it was time to assemble the wax paper capiz "shells"...




And here are two of Susan Peterson's happy friends with their DIY chandeliers... LOVE it!!


This might have to wait until after the craziness of the holidays, but I seriously think this project is in my future!!  What do you think??  Should we give it a go?  Anyone want to try it with me?

Cheers!
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment