Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Oh My Darling Clementine Candle

I saw the cutest tutorial on Apartment Therapy last week about how to make a candle out of just a clementine and a little olive oil.  I buy these by the box for my little ones, so I thought I'd give it a whirl this evening in the 3 spare minutes I had between their dance dress rehearsal and their hastily prepared and not very good supper.  Check out my version and photographs below!  


The first step is to essentially empty out the clementine by scoring it around the circumference and carefully peeling off the skin of the two halves.

One half will hopefully (miraculously?) leave you with the attached pip to be used as your wick.  To this half, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to prevent burning.


Strike a match and light 'er up... no "real" wick or tea candle insert required...


For the top half of the clementine/candle, score a design of your choosing to create a vent...


Once you've cut out your design, put your clementine back together....


...and turn out the lights to enjoy your homemade, sweet smelling light show!


To see the original video tutorial from Apartment Therapy, click here.  This is a fast and fun project to enjoy with your kids before they're even done devouring the clementine insides!

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment