Monday, January 23, 2012

"Sleep Tight": Rope Beds

This weekend I received one of those goofy forwarded emails; this one titled "Stuff You Didn't Know You Didn't Know".  Reading it resulted not only in me trying to lick my elbow (impossible!  Who knew?), but also in me learning the origin of the phrase "sleep tight".

Apparently, in Shakespearean times, mattresses were secured to the bed frame using ropes.  Pulling the ropes would result in the tightening of the mattress, making it firmer to sleep on.  As such.... "good night, sleep tight" came about.

Reading this snippet about mattresses and rope reminded me of how many beds I've seen lately suspended by ropes (different concept for sure, but this is where my mind took me).

I think it's a great look for a guest room in a casual beach or lake home... very nautical and rustic, don't you think?




The look is also whimsical and fun for shared kids spaces...



Here's hoping those are some sturdy ropes!


Hope you slept tight this weekend!
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment