Monday, October 22, 2012

Mismatching: Love It or Leave It?

I tend to be pretty strict in my use of symmetry and matching in design, but every so often someone encourages me to think outside my comfort zone (which is good).

For example, photographer Michael Lee encouraged me to use various pottery from different rooms in my home together for this shot in the foyer.  I was seriously sweating bullets regarding the mismatched colors and asymmetry of the pieces.... but in the end, I do love the shot.


I've stumbled upon some other "mismatched" shots around the web lately that are giving me pause.  My gut is to hit my mental "dislike" button, but I'm trying to challenge myself and give them a chance...








So what do you think about mismatching - love it or leave it?
Deb
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the symmetry. However- I do LOVE the arrangement in your shot- LOVE! None of the others are working for me though. Both sides of your arrangement are tied together with orange- in the flowers and on the vase, so there is a cohesiveness that the other photos seem to lack.

    ReplyDelete