Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rethinking the Carnation

The carnation is, and has always been, my least favorite flower....  I just despise it.


When we were recently featured in the Boston Globe Magazine, we asked the fact checker to remove the sentence saying the dining room wallpaper was inspired by a carnation motif, because I was so upset about the association.  And, before the piece went to press, I had a nightmare that the entire article was about carnations and how they had inspired our entire design business.


The fact of the matter is, in the late 16th and 17th century, the design of rows of carnation palmettes in Ottoman textiles made for some pretty beautiful motifs...

via Sothebys


And I do love how the motif has been revived or reinterpreted for modern interiors...



David Hicks

How awesome is this version, from Osborne and Little?  




You won't see "real" carnations in my home anytime soon, but I'd certainly consider one of these interpretations!

Deb
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment