Monday, June 7, 2010

"Keep Calm and Carry On"

One of my favorite recent etsy acquisitions hangs subtly in my foyer:  a stretched canvas piece by the sweet and gracious artist Anne Harwell, bearing the slogan "Keep Calm and Carry On".  Anne adapted the design from a poster initially created by the British Ministry of Information in 1939 to help soothe the English population should Germany invade Great Britain.




Apparently Tori Spelling and hubby like it too:

While I consider Anne's the quintessential "Keep Calm Carry On" piece, I've noticed that variations are cropping up everywhere.  I asked Anne why she thought the slogan has become so popular sixty years after its creation, and what it means to her:

"The first time I read it, I thought it was such a great reminder, applicable to so many situations in our everyday lives, especially during the economic downturn and the seeming increase in global chaos and uncertainty. Of course I was charmed by the retro graphic design as well, and that quintessential British quality of stoicism and the stiff upper-lip. Sometimes in life, that's really all you can do at the moment.....try to keep calm, keep things in perspective, take a deep breath, say a prayer and just take whatever the next step is that needs to be taken.  Let's face it, doing the opposite never works out well for anyone.

I knew the slogan had an instant appeal to me as a sort of inspirational saying and also, a big plus, the design didn't include an eagle or a mountain or any of those other stock photo-type generic executive-ish success images. I decided to put my own spin on it... I felt that, even though it was hardly any longer an obscure design, it would continue to have a broad appeal, because now more than in a long time, there are many so many difficulties and challenged facing us on every front."

Other Keep Calm items for your home:


Party Cups, 10 for $15




Urban Outfitter Bandaids, $8



priceless (and not recommended)

Enjoy!
Deb





No comments:

Post a Comment