Friday, September 17, 2010

Shades of Gray

I have a very colorful home.  Like really really colorful.  I'm not the least bit afraid of color, and I love to see people make bold and unpredictable color choices in their homes.

Having said that, I've seen some incredible gray rooms recently, ones almost completely void of other colors, that have really knocked my socks off.  There's something calming and peaceful about the look, and I love the way varying textures are highlighted when you remove the distraction of competing colors.

Have you seen the new online shelter magazine Rue, which just launched yesterday?  Tucked toward the back of this 260-something page collection of design eye-candy you'll find the home of artists Jaime Laubhan-Oliver and Larry Oliver.  The Olivers play with texture and scale in the place of color in their Dallas home, and the results are spectacular.









The apartment of Martha Stewart creative director Eric Pike is even more monochromatic than the Olivers' home.  This space can be best described as "greige", a gray-beige hue that's become so popular it's even earned its own blog.  I truly wish I could adopt Pike's two shapely settees, and I'm loving his mirror/TV contraption!












Check back with us next week for a great giveaway on Monday, and to hear about our trip to a taping of the Nate Berkus Show for an audience of design bloggers Tuesday!

Have a great weekend,
Deb

2 comments:

  1. I also love gray and posted about it here http://www.ladesignconcepts.com/blog/. Hope you enjoy the beautiful photos and if so, give me a shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb - how do I find out what # color sample(s) Erik Pike used in his Martha Stuart pics? I tried to figure it out myself, but the samples I chose look much darker than what is shown in the pics....any advice?

    ReplyDelete