Tuesday, February 1, 2011

DIY - Twin Duvet Cover

They say "necessity is the mother of all inventions" and I am beginning to believe it!  The "tummy" bug recently ripped through our home and our two boys got the brunt of it - in the same night.  As my husband was swearing at 3am when he kept pulling flat sheets out of the linen closet while looking for a clean fitted sheet and duvet cover, a light bulb turned-on in my tired brain. Why don't I put some of these flat sheets together and make a couple of "new" duvet covers?


I realized we were short on fitted sheets too (it was quite a night), so I went to Home Goods and for $24.99 bought a Ralph Lauren twin sheet set that complimented one of the flat sheets we already had.  I used one old and one new flat sheet to make the duvet cover - all for under $30 bucks and a little labor!

Here is what I did, ironically, it is very close to the "DIY Decorative Pillows" I recently made.

First iron the sheets - admittedly the most tedious part of the entire process.  No photo necessary here!!

Then fold-up one end of both the sheets about 3 inches, so that you have a nice place to hide the buttons to close the duvet cover.


Put the right sides of the fabric together and pin.  I laid out all of the fabric with a duvet to double
check the size and seam allowance.


Sew 3 sides of the sheets EXCEPT the bottom where you are going to put the buttons.


Flip the duvet cover right side out and press the seams.

Mark off the button and button hole placement.  I like to space them about every 6" - 8".


Add your button holes (most sewing machines have a "Button Hole" stitch) and sew on your buttons.

Ta-Dah!

Becky

3 comments:

  1. Awesome thanks for showing us how to do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi darling, thanks for sharing this great idea!! hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  3. so if i want to make a twin size duvet cover, all i need is a patterned sheet and a solid sheet both in a twin size? omg, im so happy i found this post. the duvet set that i like for my boy and girl who are about to share a room was going to cost me over 350! now i can save and just order them both the sheet sets and find another cheap sheet set from Walmart or Target! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete