Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My Missing "Peacock Mirror" Ring

We had an almost-perfect long weekend away skiing and hanging with family friends... until we were packing up to go, and I looked down at what used to be my wedding ring and saw this...


Major, major wahhhhh.  For our 10th anniversary last summer, we had my engagement stone reset into the setting above (though much of it is missing from the picture).  The inspiration for the new setting last summer (in my design-obsessed brain only)?  The Peacock mirror, most notably made by Wisteria, but interpreted by Restoration Hardware, Pier One, among others...






But I digress...

Monday morning turned into a bit of a sh*t show of ring hunting.   Here is my hubby going through the garbage with kitchen tongs looking for the center of the ring...


And my girls applying the same technique with the cut-open contents of the vacuum cleaner bag...


After a couple of hours of fruitless hunting, there was nothing to do but give up.  We tried to salvage the day with some skiing and a Chinese food dinner (really, what doesn't that cure?) before heading back to Boston.  I did my best to keep it all in perspective, because after all it was just a misplaced object - as long as my family itself is intact, everything else is relative, for sure.  

At the same time, I had a heavy heart thinking of all the loving time, care and investment my now-husband put into obsessively researching and purchasing the diamond he would propose to me with when I was just 23.  It seemed symbolic of a simpler time - in our relationship, and our lives in general.  A time before we were bogged down with the happy but often stressful complications of family life... home ownership, the price of fuel oil, the pitter patter of flying squirrels in the attic, children who won't fill-in-the-blank: potty train, successfully complete basic math, or talk to grown-ups, etc, etc, etc...

But I digress....

When we got back to Boston later that night, as I unpacked a favorite sweater, I heard a "clink" against the hardware floor, and sure enough there was the center of my "peacock mirror" ring!


Have a great day!
Deb

6 comments:

  1. Yeah! I love a happy ending...I think I'd have to tear a jeweler a new one for that mess up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing ring and story! SUPER happy you found it!

    xoxo navy & orange

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm soooo happy for you! That must have been such a relief! I recently lost my engagement ring and after a month and a half was about to replace it when my husband found it under the burner of my stove (the one time he decided to cook, of course)! I was so glad to have it back though!!

    Christina Wikman
    www.christinamarieinteriors.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hallelujah! I was so upset for you!! Your ring is gorgeous, too, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful ring! Glad you found the stone. I hope you have insurance too! My diamonds have fallen out of my wedding band 3x but the jeweler replaces them at no charge but tells me I definitely should be coming in more than the 1x/year that I usually do to have the setting checked. If I ever lost my center stone on my e-ring I'd go nuts but knowing there's insurance softens the blow. Also, when I travel I lock it up and keep it at home just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your ring! It is such a great design. I understand your emotions behind the ring, I lost a small diamond off my mother's wedding ring and was heartbroken. The diamond was small so the value was nothing but to realize that my mom wore it for 25 years before my dad died and I had it two years and lost a diamond.

    ReplyDelete